As the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines expands to all Americans, pharmacists continue to step up when it comes to getting shots into the arms of the public.
Because of their accessibility, independent pharmacists often have increased opportunity for patient interaction, which is more important now than ever. Pharmacies can leverage technology to streamline communication while delivering a patient-friendly experience as they work to meet high patient demand.
We’ve rounded up a list of digital tools that can help independent pharmacies employ an efficient patient engagement experience specific to COVID-19 immunization.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- COVID-19 Vaccination Scheduler1
Digital Pharmacist, a pharmacy software provider, is offering a free trial of it COVID-19 vaccination scheduling and patient management solution. According to a press release, the scheduling tool will provide:
Configurable calendars to schedule and manage vaccination and clinical appointments
- Secure bulk and targeted text messaging to automate and streamline patient communications
- Smart-phone based appointment check-ins for contactless care coordination
- Efficient data capture and reporting
The vaccine scheduled will operate in Digital Pharmacist’s Patient Engagement Platform (PEP), a 2-way secure HIPAA-compliant messaging service that facilitates encrypted communications between pharmacists and their patients. With the company’s free COVID-19 Patient Vaccination Waitlist solution, the PEP will allow pharmacists to convert a waitlist of patients into scheduled appointments.
Learn more about the platform here.
Mobile-First COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling Platform2
Health technology company Prescryptive Health has expanded vaccine scheduling and waitlisting capabilities on its mobile-first, HIPAA-compliant platform. The program is free to both pharmacies and consumers.
All consumers need is their mobile phone number to participate. After a 3-step registration process on the online portal MyRx.io, consumers can search for available appointments at local, independent pharmacies within a 100-mile radius of their location. If waitlisted, consumers will receive real-time notifications from pharmacists when appointments become available.
Learn more here.
- Contact-Free Vaccination Management Tool and Telepharmacy Services3
Tabula Rasa HealthCare (TRHC), a health care technology company, offers a virtual, patient-friendly vaccination intake and scheduling tool through its PrescribeWellness patient management solution that enables pharmacists to engage with their patients effectively and safely.
In addition, TRHC’s telepharmacy services, delivered through MedWiseRx clinical call centers, are designed to directly support independent and chain pharmacies with COVID-19 vaccine efforts. Staffed by more than 800 pharmacists and pharmacy staff, these telephonic services range from vaccine appointment scheduling to addressing vaccine-specific questions.
Learn more about these services here.
- AI-Driven Customer Service4
Genesys recently announced its artificial intelligence (AI)-driven technology solution aimed at providing real-time information about vaccine availability, demographic prioritization, distribution, criteria, and scheduling. Designed to support businesses administering COVID-19 vaccines, such as retail, grocery, and pharmacy stores, the COVID-19 Vaccine Rapid Response can include digital tools such as AI-driven chatbots, voice, messaging, email management, self-service, call recording, and notifications to service consumer inquiries.
According to Genesys, Rapid Response is free of charge for the first 90 days once launched into a production environment.
- Social Media
Don’t underestimate the power of your pharmacy’s social media pages! Use your branded platforms to disseminate information on vaccine updates or point followers in the direction of trusted resources. Curating regular posts that provide clarity on vaccine news or supply status can help in reducing phone calls to the pharmacy. Additionally, posts that highlight frequently asked questions regarding COVID-19 vaccines can serve as an informative resource.
- Digital Pharmacist to offer free trial of its COVID-19 Vaccination Scheduler. News release. Digital Pharmacist; March 4, 2021. Accessed April 20, 2021. https://www.digitalpharmacist.com/press/digital-pharmacist-offers-free-trial-of-covid-vaccination-scheduler/
- Prescryptive Health Announces COVID-19 Appointment Scheduling and Waitlisting via Mobile Phone at Local Independent Pharmacies Nationwide. News release. Prescryptive Health; April 7, 2021. Accessed April 20, 2021. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/prescryptive-health-announces-covid-19-vaccine-appointment-scheduling-and-waitlisting-via-mobile-phone-at-local-independent-pharmacies-nationwide-301264287.html
- Tabula Rasa HealthCare Expands COVID-19 Vaccine Support Services to Community Pharmacies. News release. Tabula Rasa HealthCare; April 13, 2021. Accessed April 20, 2021. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tabula-rasa-healthcare-expands-covid-19-vaccine-support-services-to-community-pharmacies-301267227.html
- Genesys Announces COVID-19 Vaccine Rapid Response, a New Digital Solution to Help Companies Meet the Overwhelming Consumer Need for Vaccination Information. News release. Genesys; December 17, 2020. Accessed April 21, 2021. https://www.genesys.com/press?release=122835